Update below--list of blog responses to Seidel's subpoena. Most are better written than mine.
Update #2 -- if you would like to Digg this topic, the link is here.
Update #3--Full conflict of interest disclosure at the very bottom of the post
Update #4--Saturday April 5-- bloggers, below, and why the subpoena demands material having to do with any “religious groups (Muslim or otherwise), or individuals with religious affiliations." In a previous episode, Kathleen Seidel wrote Serving the Guest, "A cookbook with essays and anecdotes on the historic and contemporary role of food, eating, meals and hospitality in Sufism, the mystical tradition of Islam". In other words, not post 9/11 hysteria, but an attempt at intimidation, pure and simple.
Update #5--Sunday April 6 -- more bloggers, and note Orac's open letter to autism activists David Kirby and Dan Olmstead at Respectful Insolence. April 8: See the running clock, waiting for Kirby and Olmstead's response.
Update # 6 -- Monday April 7. All of the responses I've linked are supportive of Kathleen Seidel's work. Those who know her personally also express admiration for her character. However, there is an element who express disdain for her work and who cast aspersions on her character. I've listed those at the bottom of the post.
Update #7 -- Thursday April 10 FINALLY the national mainstream media catch on. Wall Street Journal's James Taranto leads off "Best of the Web Today" with coverage of the Seidel subpoena.
Update #8--Sunday April 13--intro to post re-written slightly to indicate that it was the Sykes' attorney, Clifford Shoemaker, who bears the most responsibility for the repressive subpoena.
Kathleen Seidel blogs and writes at Neurodiversity.com. She has written extensively about the activities of the Rev. Lisa Sykes and her husband Seth Sykes, who claim that thimerosal caused their son's autism and have filed a personal-injury lawsuit against vaccine manufacturers.
The Sykes' attorney, Clifford Shoemaker, maintains a website for his firm, in which he claims that
The evidence is now overwhelming that mercury injected into pregnant women and small infants has caused a huge epidemic of autism in this county.
Mr. Shoemaker was featured in a March 24, 2008 Neurodiversity.com post, The Commerce in Causation, detailing how much money Shoemaker earns from litigating autism-vaccine-injury claims. On March 26, 2008, Seidel was served with a subpoena, issued by Shoemaker, to produce documents and records for the Sykes' suit.
the first phrase that occurred to me on looking through the subpoena was "fishing expedition", and the second was "intimidation". Several clauses indicate that Shoemaker is hoping to turn up evidence that Seidel has accepted support from the federal government, or from vaccine makers, which she says she hasn't. Also among the documents demanded: Seidel's correspondence with other bloggers.
You should also read Seidel's post on the big business of vaccine litigation
Update April 4: Positive Internet Reaction to Seidel's work and expressions of support for Seidel in the subpoena matter
April 3 responses in alphabetical order
- Autista: Rediculous (and points out the chilling effect on blogging, should the subpoena stand)
- Denialism: Autism Cranks Going After Bloggers
- Grey Matter/White Matter:
- I Call BS: When Bullies Get a Subpoena To Weild
- I Speak of Dreams: this post
- Instapundit: Subpoena Abuse
- Jack's News Blog: Sandy: Blogger on Autism Hit With Subpoena
- James Randi Educational Foundation Forum (JREF): discussion of subpoena
- Law Bites: Quote from Overlawyered
- Open Records: Blogger intimidation with a FOIA twist
- Overlawyered (cross posted at Point of Law Forum and Iatrogrogenic Forum): Vaccine Lawyer Subpoenas Kathleen Seidel
- Pure Pedantry: Autism Cranks Attempt To Intimidate Blogger by Subpoena
- Woman Scientist: Links to the Absurd
- You Are My Minions: Autism Awareness Fallout
April 4 2008--to 9:39 PM PDT (alphabetical order)
- Action for Autism: Shoemaker's Subpoena Is A Load of Cobblers
- Ars Technica: Blogger ensnared in hotly contested autism-vaccine lawsuit
- Asperger Square 8: Welcome to the "I am Kathleen" Scavenger Hunt
- Aspies for Freedom: Discussion Board
- Autism Street: I am Kathleen
- Axinar: Autism-Vaccine / Neurodiversity War Getting UGLY
- Bronze Dog: Anti-Vaxxer Thuggery
- Bug Girl's Blog: Chilly Climate for Blogging?
- BuzzTracker: List of posts on issue
- Club 166: kathleen SLAPPed-- Blogs slap back
- DKMNow: Shoemaker’s Witch-Hunt: An Open Letter
- Dr. J's House Calls: The Plane! The Plane!
- Elf M. Sternberg: Friday's Brain is Small but Inspired
- Evil Avatar: Discussion Board
- Going to the Mat: Bloggers and Legal Action
- Holford Watch: Kathleen Seidel Has Received a Subpoena: Streisand, Spartacus, Shoemaker, They Start with S and End the Same Way
- Jaded Skeptic: Autism Trouble in Law and Blogs
- Law and More: Kathleen Seidel's Blog: Influence Means You Get a Subpoena
- Law and More: Olson's Trumpet: Blogosphere Unites Behind Kathleen Seidel
- Legal Blog Watch: Blogger Subpoenaed For Influence
- Left in Alabama: Blogger Troubles: SLAPP
- Letting Off Steam: We Are All Kathleen Seidel
- Liv's Journey: Can I Play Sykes Google Hit Too?
- Meta Filter: Owner of Neurodiversity.com Subpoenaed in Autism Suit
- MythusMage Opines: Rallying the Blogosphere Again
- Natural Variation--Autism Blog: Clifford Shoemaker, What a Dick, Plus Other Views
- New York Personal Injury Law Blog: Abuse of Process: Blogger, Unrelated to Action, Hit with Subpoena
- Normal Is Overrated: All for One and One for All
- One Dad's Opinion: How to Treat A Bully
- Overlawyered: Blogosphere Reacts to Seidel Subpoena
- Perseveration.org: Quashing a Subpoena
- Pharyngula: Attempted Suppression of Seidel
- Pope Hat : Vaccine-Litigant Thuggery: Subpoenaed for Blogging
- Pooflingers Anonymous: Another Day, Another Gasket
- Respectful Insolence: More Legal Thuggery, this Time Against Neurodiversity.com
- Rev. BigDumbChimp: Anti-vaccination Parents Stoop to New Lows
- Rett Devil's Rants: We Are Kathleen
- The Runman: We Are Kathleen, Too
- The Skeptic Dad: Pro-Vaccine Blogger Dragged Into Court
- Strategic Thinking and Execution: reposting of Ars Technica article
- Swiftspeech!: Quash this unconstitutional, unreasonable, irrelevant, excessive, invasive, burdensome, frivolous, and clearly retaliatory subpoena
- Trusted MD (feed from I Speak of Dreams)
- The Voyage: Neurodiversity Blogger Unfairly Subpoenaed
- Whose Planet Is It Anyway?: Clifford J. Shoemaker and Lisa Sykes: Putrid Lawyering
- Women's Bioethics Forum: Neurodiversity blogger subpoenaed in "vaccine-autism link" lawsuit
April 5 2008 (again, in alphabetical order)
- A Life Less Ordinary?: Emotion and Irrationality Run Amok
- ASD: Implication by Association
- Aspie Editorial: Bloggers Rally Behind Kathleen Seidel
- Autism Speaks Community Message Board
- AutismVox: About This Autism Dilemma
- Clotted Cognition: You Gotta Fight for Your Right to Blog
- Crux of the Matter: Blogger on Autism Hit With Subpoena
- Darwin Central Discussion Board: Blogger Subpoenaed in Autism "Big Pharma" Suit
- Drums N Whistles: Lawsuits and Autism: A Back-Door Effort to Suppress Facts
- Homo Autistic: Kathleen Siedel: "Subpoenaed"
- JunkScience.com Blog: Weblog subpoenaed in escalating intimidation attempts against bloggers
- Left Brain Right Brain: Kathleen Seidel
- Legal Schnauzer: Bloggers as Targets in Litigation
- Likelihood of Confusion: Subpoenas to Bloggers
- Personal Injury News: Bloggers as Targets
- Something Awful Forums
- Stranger than You Can Imagine (Daedalus2u): I Am Kathleen
- A Voice from the Pack: Bullyboy Lawyers
- Victoria's Corner: The Mozlems Want You to Have Autistic Babies
- Wrong Planet Discussion Board
April 6 2008
- Action for Autism: Orac's Open Letter to Kirby and Olmstead
- Autism News Beat: Attorney Clifford Shoemaker v. bloggers
- Autism Street: Bloggers on the Seidel Subpoena, and Orac's Open Letter to Kirby and Olmstead
- Daylight Atheism: Legal Thuggery Against Neurodiversity.com
- Galactic Poolhall: Autism Lawsuit
- Incorrect Pleasures: This Blog Named in a Subpoena?!
- Junkfood Science: Threats to Citizen Journalism
- Kitchen Table Math: Citizen Journalist Hit With Subpoena Intended to Intimidate
- Misbehaviour of Behaviorists Discussion Board
- Natural Variation: Conflicts of Interest Disclosure
- Respectful Insolence: Open Letter to David Kirby and Dan Olmstead on Seidel Subpoena
- Skeptico: Bullying Attorney Thug
- Storkdok-NOS: Autism Quackery Every Day
- Time Capsule: Mercury Militia Goes Too Far
April 7 2008
- Adjunct Law Prof Blog: Autism Blogger Subpoenaed
- Arthur Allen at the Washington Independent: Subpoena the Blogger
- AthenIvanidx: In Defense of Kathleen Seidel
- AthenIvanidx: Why Defend Somebody You Don't Know?
- Autism Street: Autism, Clifford Shoemaker, and Kathleen Seidel (the video version)
- Autism Diva: video--What's it All About, Cliffie?
- Graphictruth: In the matter of Shoemaker v. Seidel; Court of public opinion; The Hon. Bugs Bunny Presiding.
- Healthblawg: Blawg Review #154
- Impfblog.de (in German--Die Risiken des Impfbloggens)
- The Joy of Autism: In Support of Kathleen Seidel and Her Work
- Neurologica: Another Attack on Free Speech and A Science Blogger
- Not Mercury "Subpoenaed" -- the video version
- Socratic Gadfly Vaccine-injury-chasing Law Firm in an Intimidating Huff
- Skates Family 7: Larry King Live and Kathleen Seidel's Subpoena
- Stop.Think.Autism I Am Also Kathleen--video and text
- The Voyage: Autism, Clifford Shoemaker, and Kathleen Seidel (the video version)
- Woman Scientist: Thoughts on This Absurd Subpoena
April 8, 2008
- Barely Dressed: Bloggers Unite!
- Brass and Ivory: Dr. Wes and Kathleen Seidel
- Clipmarks: Cue the Acme Anvil
- dkmnow : Kathleen Seidel and the subpoena, lolcatz version:
- Dr. Wes: Grand Rounds on Kathleen Seidel and the Subpoena
- Laurentius Rex: I am Kathleen but wer macht den schun?
- The Life that Chose Me: That's Kind of Scary
- A Touch of Alyricism: Just call me Barbra - The Streisand Effect
- Trusted MD--Grand Rounds Syndication
- whirledpeas (just above the beautiful water stair image)
April 9, 2008
- Andrea's Buzzing About: One in the Crowd
- Autism's Gadfly: Mercury Militia vs. Neurodiversity, an ironic war between two adversaries
- Candy: Candy Could Be Kathleen
- Crux of the Matter: On Autism, Neurodiversity, & Opinions
- ElderAbuseHelp.com: War on Bloggers Comes Home to America. This post lists bloggers who have been subject to legal action, including Kathleen Seidel. However, the link has crashed my browser each time I've clicked on it, so Here's the link: http://elder-abuse-cyberray.blogspot.com/2008/04/war-on-bloggers-comes-home-to-america.html, and here it is as a TinyURL: http://tinyurl.com/5cwgq5
- Left Brain, Right Brain: Response to the Kirby-Olmsted email to Orac
- Nashua Telegraph: Dave Brooks' column: What a Web of actional links we can weave
- Natural Variation: Pleasantly Surprised by Kirby and Olmstead's email to Orac
- New Hampshire State of Mind: Autism's Dark Side
- Paotie's Green Couch I am Kathleen--A Fight Against NeoMcCarthyism
- Reunify Gally: Is any Blogger Safe? The "I Am Kathleen" Campaign
April 10, 2008
- Comm Law Blog: Cyber Slapp on Best of Web
- Instapundit (link to the WSJ article below, no comment)
- A Human Voice: Blogging Mom Subpoenaed
- Legal Satyricon: Subpoena Sleaze
- Maya's Corner: U.S. Blogger Subpoenaed for Writing Against Quackery
- Overlawyered (update, noting Dave Brooks' column)
- Slashdot Firehose: Blogger Subpoenaed For Criticizing Attorneys
- Pros and Cons: The Pros and Cons of Being A Plaintiff's Attorney
- Thiz'n'Dat: The "I am Kathleen" Freedom of Speech Campaign
- Total Drek: Two Brief Updates for the Curious
- Volokh Conspiracy: Taranto's Cyber-Slapp
- Wall Street Journal: Best of the Web Today James Taranto: Cyber-Slapp
April 11, 2008
- BlogNerds: Blogger Subpoenaed for Criticizing Trial Lawyers
- Citizen Media Law Project Blog: Blogger Kathleen Seidel Fights Subpoena Seeking Information About Vaccine Litigation
- Citizen Media Law Project: Sykes v. Seidel
- CM Law Library Blog: Cyber-SLAPPed in the Blogosphere
- Digital Media @ Co Lab: Citizen Journalism on Trial
- Floor 9: Blogger Subpoenaed
- Free Republic Discussion Forum: Link to Wall Street Journal article
- ICA: What do You Think?
- MediaShift Idea Lab: Blogger Kathleen Seidel Fights Subpoena Seeking Information About Vaccine Litigation
- Mishka Zena: Mishka Zena Threatened With Suits; Support Kathleen Seidell
- Slashdot: Blogger Subpoenaed for Criticizing Attorneys
- Speaker's Corner at Hyde Park: Neurodiversity Weblog: Subpoenaed
- Strategic Thinking and Execution: Slashdot's Coverage of the Seidell Subpoena
- TechBlogger: rebroadcast of original Slashdot post
april 16, 2008
- La Canta Magnifico Blog: I am Kathleen and A Future Danger to Motor Sport Bloggers
Bloggers expressing disapproval of the body of Seidel's work, approval of Clifford Shoemaker's subpoena, and ad-hominem attacks on Seidel:
- Hating Autism (now with character assassination)
Conflict of Interest Disclosure relative to the Seidel subpoena, in which my blog I Speak of Dreams is named in item #5
- I am a resident of the state of California
- My blog, I Speak of Dreams (http://lizditz.typepad.com/i_speak_of_dreams/), is named in item #5 of the subpoena issued to Kathleen Seidel by Clifford Shoemaker, Esq., in Case No. 3:07-CV-660, Eastern District of Virginia, Richmond Division.
- I am the sole proprietor of the websites at http://lizditz.typepad.com/ , including http://lizditz.typepad.com/i_speak_of_dreams/.
- The blog I Speak of Dreams on the whole reflects my interests and enthusiasms, as well as personal notes. It also serves as an aide-memoire for me.
- These interests and enthusiasm include issues having to do with private and public K-12 education, learning disabilities, teaching children with learning disabilities, and skeptical evaluation of claims of cures for various conditions. From time to time, I have blogged directly and explicitly on issues pertaining to autism, the education of persons with autism, the lack of evidence for vaccination in any form being a causative agent for autism, and issues having to do with autism in the media.
- To the best of my knowledge, none of my immediate family members has autism or is affected by autism.
- The blogs at http://lizditz.typepad.com/ are not legal entities, organizations, or businesses. The blogs are my hobby, which I support out of my own income. I do not accept funding or advertising.
- I have never received anything of monetary value from Kathleen Seidel or Neurodiversity.com.
- I have never met Kathleen Seidel in person.
- I have never spoken to Kathleen Seidel.
- To the best of my knowledge, I have never been in the same building with Kathleen Seidel.
- I have e-mailed, or exchanged e-mails with Kathleen Seidel approximately 10 times since 2004 (the extent of my records).
- I do own stock in various enterprises in the healthcare sector of the US economy. To the best of my recollection, all such stocks were inherited from my parents' estate in the mid-1990s. The collective value of such shares amounts to no more than 1.4% of my net worth.
- To the best of my knowledge, dividend income from the entire healthcare sector of my securities portfolio has accounted to less than 1% of my annual income.
- In other words, I spend more on groceries and fuel for my vehicles than I earn from my healthcare sector securities. Big Agra and Big Oil has a much bigger influence on my finances than Big Pharma.