Mr. Bobbitt, a sophomore at California University of Pennsylvania, was found unresponsive in a friend's apartment on May 1, 2008.
As always, my condolences to his family and friends.
GREENCASTLE, Pa. — Friends of William Kiel Bobbitt were turning to social-networking site Facebook.com to leave memorials remembering the 19-year-old Greencastle man after his death last week.
Some made arrangements to take their final exams early in order to attend services Tuesday and Wednesday in the Greencastle area.
"There's been tons of his friends and kids coming out here," said Tony Bobbitt, father of the young man known as Kiel.
The family planned to go to California University of Pennsylvania today to pick up the 2007 Greencastle-Antrim High School graduate's belongings and visit the coroner's office there. They were awaiting word on an official cause of death.
In the meantime, they were talking about Kiel's social personality and his involvement in several area churches, youth groups and missions trips.
"On his Philadelphia trip, he was able to set up a Bible study for young kids. He was amazed by the change in these kids from Monday to Friday," his mother, Lori Bobbitt, said.
Kiel took his younger sister, Katy, under his wing when they were in high school together. He also helped his sister Ema, an eighth-grader, with her soccer skills.
Kiel not only played soccer on the high school team, but also got involved in outside leagues that allowed him to play all over the region. He later joined the college rugby team.
Kiel, who was a communications major, announced home games for the 2007 Greencastle-Antrim High School basketball team that went to the state finals. At the finals championship held at Penn State University, he stepped into a different role.
"He donned his blue wig and painted his face to become the guy to get everyone pumped up. On graduation day, he wore the blue wig. That's Kiel," Tony Bobbitt said.
Father and son visited several college campuses, but Kiel was drawn to California University of Pennsylvania because it had the close-knit atmosphere of a home, according to Tony Bobbitt.
He said his son, whom he described as always positive and energetic, fit in well and made friends in his freshman year.
"He was extremely friendly and outgoing," Tony Bobbitt said.
A California University of Pennsylvania student found dead in a friend's apartment last week died of alcohol poisoning, Washington County Coroner Tim Warco ruled Friday.
William Kiel Bobbitt, 19, of University Avenue, Building C, California, was discovered unresponsive about 8:30 a.m. May 1 in a friend's apartment on Second Street in California.
Warco said an autopsy did not disclose any evidence of suspicion or foul play. Several occupants of the apartment where Bobbitt was found told California Police that Bobbitt, who appeared highly intoxicated at the time, was seeking a place to stay about 1 a.m. that day.
He was a sophomore and a member of the college's Roosterhead rugby team. His hometown was Greencastle in Franklin County.
Signs of Alcohol Poisoning
Alcohol depresses nerves that control involuntary actions such as breathing, the heartbeat and the gag reflex that prevents choking. A fatal dose of alcohol will eventually stop these functions. After the victim stops drinking, the heart keeps beating, and the alcohol in the stomach continues to enter the bloodstream and circulate through the system. The victim may experience the following:
- Mental confusion, stupor, coma, unable to rouse the person
- No response to pinching the skin
- Vomiting while sleeping or unresponsive
- Slowed breathing (fewer than 8 breaths per minute)
- Irregular breathing (10 seconds or more between breaths)
- Hypothermia (low body temperature), bluish skin color, paleness
Alcohol Poisoning Requires Immediate Medical Attention
Alcohol Poisoning Cannot Be Reversed By:
- Drinking black coffee
- Taking a cold bath or shower
- Walking it off
The victim must have immediate medical attention.
Call 911, stay with the victim to prevent him choking on vomit, and tell emergency personnel how much alcohol the victim drank.
These Children Died of Alcohol Overdose, So Their Parents Started Foundations:
Taylor Webster's memorial foundation. Taylor died of alcohol poisoning at age 19-- Now his family and friends are working to get the message out, telling their stories and providing information on alcohol poisoning and the signs and symtoms of alcohol poisoning in hopes that lives will be saved.
Bradley McCue's memorial foundation. On November 5, 1998 Bradley turned 21. . He celebrated his birthday in a way that has become increasingly popular, drinking "his age in shots". That amount of alcohol was lethal and he died that night of alcohol poisoning.
Samantha Spady's memorial foundation. A 19-year old student at Colorado State University, Spady died of alcohol poisoning on September 5, 2004, "an unintentional tragedy." The Spadys say the SAM [Student Alcohol Management] Spady Foundation will develop peer-to-peer counseling and other services meant to reduce the risk of alcohol abuse.
Gordie Bailey's memorial foundation. The mission of the Gordie Foundation is to provide today’s youth with the skills to navigate the dangers of alcohol, and through education and promotion of self worth prevent alcohol poisoning, binge drinking and hazing.