updated without further comment
Mark Landy says Kennedy is unqualified.
Marc Landy, a Boston College political science professor who wrote a book on the EPA, said Robert Kennedy would be an “inappropriate” pick for the EPA post, which he described as “one of the hardest” public management jobs in government.
“It’s not a good place to make a kind of symbolic appointment,” Landy said yesterday. “You need a pro.”
The professor said Kennedy was an “estimable environmentalist” and consciousness raiser about the issue but he’s not a public manager. “It’s innappropriate. It’s wrong,” Landy said. “Government is not all about symbol and impulse, it’s an awful lot of grinding, managerial work.”
My letter to the transition team (with links added)
It has been widely reported that Robert F. Kennedy jr. will be offered a position in the Obama administration, probably heading the EPA. I urge you NOT to make this appointment. Kennedy is an anti-science ideologue. We've just suffered through 8 years of such, we don't need another four.
Kennedy's anti-science is most noticeable in his position that vaccines cause autism, and a government cover-up is preventing the truth from being known.
Many scientists have debunked his anti-science position in the past, most notably the physician and science blogger Orac, at Respectful Insolence July 17, 2005.
The current opposition to Kennedy's serving in government comprises scientists, lawyers and lay people
- Orac at Respectful Insolence lays out the evidence that Kennedy is an anti-science crank
- Revere (a public health scientist) at Effect Measure: RFKjr is an ideologue and will not rely on scientific evidence.
- Steven Novella (a neuroscientist): Environmental change is all about the science, and RFKjr is anti-science.
- Blake Stacey: Kennedy a terrible EPA choice.
- Coturnix: Kennedy is an anti-science crank and should not be in the administration in any capacity.
- Mike the Mad Biologist: Kennedy, as an anti-science crank, is unfit to serve.
- Mike Dunford: Kennedy's willingness to politicize science makes him unfit for an Administration post.
- Josh Rosenau: Kennedy's gullibility on science makes him unfit for the EPA, but there are several other good places for him in the administration.
- Chad Orzel: Kennedy's conspiracy-theory spreading should disqualify him for the EPA
- ScienceWoman: The change we need is competent appointees. Kennedy is scientifically incompetent.
- Pal, MD: Kennedy is a name, not a qualification.
- ERV: Kennedy is completely anti-science.
- Science Avenger: Kennedy's appointment would signal that Obama's administration is anti-science.
- PZ Myers, biologist, at Pharyngula: No to Robert F. Kennedy, jr.
- Arthur Allen: Please Not Kennedy
- Bradford Plumer at the New Republic: Robert F. Kennedy doesn't have the managerial skills to lead the EPA.
- Brandon Kelm, Wired Magazine: Kennedy is the weakest candidate, as he is anti-science.
- Michael C. Moynihan: Kennedy is in favor of nationalizing the oil industry.
- Politico: List of Kennedy's liabilities as a candidate
- Logipundit: Kennedy's appointment would be a disaster
- Seeking Aponia: Robert F. Kennedy jr. = Bad Science
- Kristina Chew at Autism Vox: Robert F. Kennedy at EPA isn't supported by this autism mother.
- Understanding Government: Robert F. Kennedy jr's anti-vaccination stance should prevent his appointment.
- Matthew: Robert F. Kennedy is a promoter of pseudoscience. No more of that in government, please.
- RedState: Robert F. Kennedy jr is unfit to serve.
- Flying Debris: Robert F. Kennedy is a seriously deranged crank.
- Timothy Noah at Slate: Do not hire Robert Kennedy Jr. He's too partisan and kind of a nut when it comes to policy.
- Ryan Sager: Robert F. Kennedy jr. would be a very bad appointment.
- Darksyde at Daily Kos (with 835 comments) "A nascent administration adverse to drama, focused on creating unity, and committed to restoring scientific credibility, would be well advised to choose the most credible, qualified person they can find." Kennedy isn't creditable or qualified.
Michael C. Moynihan accuses Kennedy of favoring nationalizing the oil industry.
Kennedy is a well-know 2004 election conspiracy theorist who is under the impression that we are all being held hostage in fascist America. Ho-hum. So would you be surprised to learn that RFK II is also a Chavista? Of course not!
Stayin' Alive deconstructs Kennedy on autism (from 2005)