Brian Deer's Investigative Journalism: The Wakefield File.
From the February 2, 2010 Bloomberg News article
“It has become clear that several elements of the 1998 paper by Wakefield et al are incorrect, contrary to the findings of an earlier investigation,” the editors of the Lancet wrote in a statement today....
The paper was retracted from the published record, stripping it of its scientific claims.Download Lancet retraction of Ileal-lymphoid-nodular hyperplasia, non-specific colitis, and pervasive developmental disorder in children
From the February 2 2010 New York Times article
The retraction by The Lancet comes a day after a competing medical journal, BMJ, issued an embargoed commentary calling for The Lancet to formally retract the study. The commentary was to have been published on Wednesday.
The BMJ commentary said once the study by British surgeon and medical researcher Andrew Wakefield and his colleagues appeared in 1998 in The Lancet, ''the arguments were considered by many to be proven and the ghastly social drama of the demon vaccine took on a life of its own.''
I kept a running record of the reactions to the General Medical Council's verdict on Wakefield's conduct at Andrew Wakefield: Dishonesty, Misleading Conduct, and Serious Professional Misconduct: Blog Posts Critical of Verdict; Blog Posts Approving of Verdict. This post will collate the responses to the Lancet's retraction.
Posts Critical of the Lancet's Decision to Retract Paper
February 2, 2010
- Age of Autism, blogging at Age of Autism, posts The Lancet Retraction
- Mo Gallant, blogging at Pottstown Blog, posts MMR Vaccine and Autism (with a long quote from Halvorsen that I can't find elsewhere.)
- Bobbi Lea, blogging at News Cottage, posts Study Linking Autism to Vaccine Retracted - Jew Controlled British Medical Journal Bows to Pressure To Keep Children Sick
- Kim Stagliano, blogging at Huffington Post, posts The Censorship of Autism Treatments
- David Kirby, blogging at the Huffington Post, posts The Lancet Retraction Changes Nothing
- Megan at Fox News Interviews Mark Blaxill , posted at Age of Autism,
- CNN Interviews Kim Staglianoposted at Age of Autism,
- Dan Olmstead, blogging atAge of Autism posts Olmstead on Autism: Enjoy in While It Lasts
- Prevent Disease, publishing at PreventDisease.com, publishes Lancet Slammed: Vaccine Science Poisoned by Special Interests in PharmaMedia
- Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carrey, published Age of Autism link: A Statement from Jenny McCarthy & Jim Carrey: Andrew Wakefield, Scientific Censorship, and Fourteen Monkeys
- Mike Adams, blogging at Natural News, posts The Lancet retraction of vaccine autism paper condemned as Big Pharma conspiracy to discredit Dr. Wakefield
- Maryanne, posting at Matthew's Puzzle, posts With the Lancet Retraction Comes...
- Louise Kuo Habakus, blogging at Life Health Choices Blog, posts Dr. Andrew Wakefield and the Distasteful Practice of the Ignorant “Pile On”
- Katherine Muratore, blogging at Lew Wakefield.com posts Retraction of the MMR Paper — Not What It Seems
February 3, 2010
February 4, 2010
February 5, 2010
February 6, 2010
February 7, 2010
Posts Approving of the Lancet's Decision to Retract Paper
February 2, 2010
- Kev, blogging at LeftBrain/RightBrain, posts Lancet Retracts Wakefield Paper
- Every Good Thing Between Us, blogging at Every Good Thing Between Us, posts Ethical Lapse in Autism Study
- Courtney, blogging at One Mom's Perfect Imperfection, posts Medical Journal Retracts Article Linking Autism To Vaccine!
- Haddyr, blogging at Haddyr's Journal, posts Medical Journal retracts Study Linking Autism to Vaccine
- TheSafetyMom, blogging at The Safety Chronicles, posts CNN Breaking News Regarding The MMR Vaccine
- Stasa, blogging at Stasa's Blog This! posts UK Medical Journal Retracts Flawed Vaccine Study
- Emily, blogging at A Life Less Ordinary, posts The Collapse is Complete
- Jim Beck, blogging at Drug and Device Law, posts More Evidence that The Vaccine-Autism Link Is Garbage
- Modern Mom blogging at Modern Mom, posts Medical Journal Retracts Study Linking Vaccine to Autism.
- Doug, blogging at Doug Speaks, posts Medical Journal Retracts Autism Study
- Carol Forsloff, writing at Digital Journal, writes Scientists Retract Study on Positive Autism Vaccine Link
- Matthew Herper, blogging at The Science Business (Forbes Magazine) posts The Lancet's Incomprehensible Autism Retraction
- Corina Becker, blogging at No Stereotypes Here, posts The Triggering of Dr. Wakefield
- David Knowles, blogging at Paradigms Lost (True Slant) posts Study Linking MMR vaccine and autism is retracted
- Gad Saad, blogging at Homo Consumericus, (Psychology Today Blog) posts Paper Linking MMR to Autism Has Been Retracted
- Debbie Schlussel, blogging at Debbie Schlussel.com, posts Paging “Dr.” Jenny McCarthy, Stat: Will Bimbo Retract Her Junk Science About Autism & Vaccines?
- Science Media Centre, New Zealand, blogging at Science Media Center, posts UK and New Zealand Vaccine and Autism Experts Respond to Lancet Retraction
- Scott Hensley, blogging at Shots (NPR), posts Lancet Renounces Study Linking Autism and Vaccines
- Cecilia, blogging at Knee Deep Down Under, posts Well, Well, Well
- Tim, blogging at A Progressive on the Prairie , posts Retracting 11 Years of Bogus Science
- Jonathan Levy, blogging at The Interactive World (Psychology Today Blog), posts Four Quick Reactions to Lancet Retraction
- Chris Wysocki, blogging at WyBlog, posts Lancet Acknowledges There Is No Vaccine-Autism Link
- Closet Conservative, blogging at Closet Conservative, posts The Lancet: Retraction of Flawed Autism Study
- Ace, blogging at Ace of Spades HQ, posts The Science is Settled: Medical Journal The Lancet Retracts MMR Vaccine Link
- Sullivan, blogging at LeftBrain/RightBrain, posts With the Facts Against Them, Dr. Wakefield's Supporters Appeal to Emotion
- Dave, blogging at AkronDave, posts Let The Conspiracy Theorists Rage
- Alencon, blogging at Alencon's Place, posts Paper Linking Vaccines and Autism Retracted
- Evan Harris, M.D., M.P., blogging at Dr. Evan Harris MP, posts Lancet MMR Retraction Should Have Been Done Years Ago
- Podblack, blogging at Podblack Cat, posts Lancet Finally Retracts False Wakefield Paper
- Jean Mercer, blogging at Child Myths (Psychology Today Blog), posts Lancet Takes It All Back: Vaccines and [No] Autism
- Anthony Cox, blogging at Black Triangle, posts Lancet Wakefield Retraction
- Anthony Cox, blogging at Black Triangle, posts Wakefield Condemned by Wakefield
- Anthony Cox, blogging at Black Triangle, posts Wakefield on the Upside of Infection
- K.I.M., blogging at Shuddup.com, posts Autism Research Retracted
- Mom26Children, blogging at What Are They Thinking, posts Stay Tuned
- Monica Potts, blogging at Tapped (The American Prospect) posts Autism Study Retracted, Twelve Years Too Late
- Phil Plait, blogging at Bad Astronomy (Discover) posts And Now The Anti-Vax Failure Is Complete
- Dave Anderson, blogging at Newshoggers, posts Autism-Vaccine Retractors
- Orac, blogging at Respectful Insolence, posts The Martyrdomof St. Andy, Part 2: David Kirby Rides to the Rescue (Sort Of)
- Orac, blogging at Respectful Insolence, posts How Can I Resist Such A Request
- Jim Hasik, blogging at The Red Travis Project, posts With The Retraction, The Hypothesis He Put Forward Has Been Debunked (Why GOP in Travis Co. Should Reject Anti-Vaccination Ideology)
- Jay Gordon, blogging at Huffington Post, posts The Lancet Retracts Dr. Andrew Wakefield's Article On The Autism/Vaccine Connection (but does not reject Dr. Wakefield, is silent on Wakefield's ethics, and still thinks there may be a vaccine-autism connection)
- Steven Salzberg, blogging at Genomics, Evolution, and Pseudoscience, posts The Lancet Finally Retracts Erroneous Study Linking MMR Vaccine to Autism
- Steven Novella, blogging at Science-Based Medicine, posts The Lancet Retracts Andrew Wakefield's Article
- Barry Jay Warsch, blogging at Far Right Democrat, posts Will Oprah Issue Any Retraction?
- Denise Myshko, blogging at PharmaVOICE, posts Medical Journal Retracts Study
- Alison Singer, writing at CNN, publishes Time to Regroup on Autism
- SkepFeeds, writing at Skepfeeds, posts Wakefield Creamed by MSNBC
- Shaw, blogging at Shaw's Eco-Logic, posts A Retraction from The Lancet That Is Very Weak and Way Too Late
- Arthur Caplan, writing at MSNBC.com, publishes How a zealot’s word led us astray on autism: Tiny, flawed vaccine study a case study in biased medicine
- Scott Costello, blogging at Essays on American Life, posts Big Mistake
- Joanne Jacobs, blogging at Janne Jacobs posts Lancet retracts vaccine-autism study
- Heather Horn, writing at AtlanticWire, publishes Vaccine-Autism Link Broken
- Krisjan Wager, blogging at Pro-Science, posts The Wakefield Saga Continues
- Nescio, blogging at Primum Non Nocere, posts Dr. Wakefield Abused Position of Trust
- Tim Ellis, blogging at The Huffington Post, posts Waking up from the Wakefield Nightmare
- Matt Ford, blogging at Nobel Intent (Ars Technica) posts Lancet Retracts Paper Linking MMR Vaccine and Autism
- Alex Pareen, blogging at Gawker, posts Vaccines Still Don't Cause Autism
- Thomas H. Maugh, blogging at Booster Shots (LA Times) posts Andrew Wakefield responds to article about journal retraction of autism study report
- Kristina Chew, blogging at Care2 Update: Lancet Study Retracted: Vaccines, Autism, Bad Research and the Damage Wrought by Andrew Wakefield
- Skeptico, blogging at Skeptico, posts David Kirby, King of Denial
- Paul Offit, M.D., interviewed by CBSNews: The Lancet and the media share blame for popularizing the false MMR-autism link
- Laura, blogging at Apt. 11D, posts Jenny McCarthy, Are You Listening?
- Daniel Drezner blogging at Daniel W. Drezner (Foreign Policy) Science and Politics Sitting As Far Away from The Tree As Possible
- Crawford Killian, blogging at H5N1 Blog posts Branswell on Lancet Retraction
- Jim Edwards, blogging at Pharma Industry Buzz (bnet) The Shame of The Lancet's Shoddy Autism Study Retraction
- Alex O'Meara, blogging at AlexO'Meara.com posts Dr. Wakefield, The Lancet, Vaccines, Autism, and a Useless Retraction
- Peter Lipson, guest-blogging at The Science Business (Forbes) posts More Good News On The Vaccination Front
- Amy, blogging at Asthma Mom, posts Lancet Finally Retracts The Wakefield Vaccine Paper
- Chris Mooney, blogging at Science Progress, posts Will The Vaccine-Autism Saga Finally End?
- Orac, blogging at Respectful Insolence, posts How Not To Report Science and Medical News, Vaccine Edition
- Lone Wolf, Blogging at Lone Wolf's Den, posts The Lancet Retracts Andrew Wakefield Study
- Abbas Raza, blogging at 3 Quarks Daily, posts Lancet Retracts Andrew Wakefield MMR Scare Paper
- Noel Alonso, M.D., blogging at Moms & Dads: SunSentinel.com posts Autism and Vaccines: What Parents Should Do.
- Linda, blogging at The BrodskyBlog, posts The Hall of Shame: Autism Is Not Caused By Vaccinations
- Cara Natterson, M.D., blogging at ParentsAsk.com posts It's Damage Is Done
- Stephen Barrett, M.D., writing at Autism-Watch.org, publishes Lancet Retracts Wakefield Paper
- Elizabeth Whelan, M.D. (president of the American Council on Science and Health) , writing at The New York Post, publishes Junk science kills. Who'll apologize to dead kids?
- From Newsy.com, reflections on how the retraction affects the peer-review process.
Read the transcript at http://www.newsy.com/videos/journal-retracts-autism-paper-who-s-at-fault
- Kwombles, blogging at Countering Age of Autism, posts Blathering Nonsense and an Epic Fail: Age of Autism
- Confutata, blogging at Confutata, posts Anti-Vaxxers Score Own Goal In Defense of Wakefield
- This Way Baby, blogging at This Way Baby, posts Claims That Vaccinations Cause Autism Revisited
- Stewart Lee, blogging at StewartLee.com, posts So What If Science Says I'm Wrong...
- Sam, blogging at Proud Mommy and Wifey posts Happy that Lancet retracted study that linked autism to vaccines
- Albert Fuchs M.D., blogging at Nice Jewish Doctor (Jewish Journal) posts Twelve Years Later, the Truth about Vaccines and Autism
- Keith Kloor, blogging at Collide-a-Scape, posts Disparate Anti-Science Forces
- Baby GooRoo, blogging at Baby GooRoo, posts Science Trumps Fear Over Autism
- Joy, blogging at Babble On, posts About Time!
- Atlanta Hyperbaric & Wound Care Clinic, blogging at Atlanta Hyperbaric & Wound Care Clinic, posts The Autism Blowup at the Lancet
- Skepacabra, blogging at Skepacabra, posts Australian Vaccination Network begging for change & other anti-vaccination nuttiness
- Editorial from SFGate A reality check on autism and vaccines
- Benjamin Ball, writing at BostonHerald.com, publishes Autism retraction sparks furor among docs, advocates
February 3, 2010
February 4, 2010
February 5, 2010
February 6, 2010
February 7, 2010