There's been a lot going on in the last few weeks. This is more in the way of jottings in a notebook, rather than a studied response.
- Bewailing the state of handwriting (for another view, see Tom Kunz, "Why handwriting is History"
- Concocting A Cure for Kids with Issues (on "vision therapy" -- pro and con article by Judith Warner. Also see Laura Novak's 2007 article, Seeing Double
- Pressure Cooker Kindergarten, Patti Hartigan's August 30 2009 article for the Boston Globe
- Why Our Kids Won't Go To Kindergarten, the third in a series on homeschooling at Salon, by Andrew O'Hehir
- New Data on Why Boys are Falling Behind, by Richard Whitmire (more Whitmire at Why Boys Fail)
- East Palo Alto Academy Elementary School (a project of the Stanford University School of Education) is failing. More commentary at Joanne Jacobs.