There's a blogger who goes by the nom de blogue "Sullivan", mostly posting at LeftBrain/RightBrain. (He chose the name based on the character from Monsters Inc., one of his kids' favorite movies.) I am proud to say that Sullivan is a friend in real life -- we met through blogging, discovered we lived in the same part of California, and meet from time to time for lunch or coffee or similar.
Sully is danged smart and a passionate advocate for truth, justice, and improving life for people with disabilities. One of his children has significant disabilities, including autism.
JB Handley is also a father of a child with autism, but has a completely different character. Handley and his wife founded Generation Rescue; Handley blogs from time to time at Age of Autism. His blog posts are often scurrulious screeds (examples: Novella, Gorski, Wallace , Harris, and so on). Handley's bête noire is anyone who disagrees with the discredited notion that vaccines cause autism; his favorite target for villification is Paul Offit, MD.
Today, based on an offhand comment I wrote at Squidalicious, Handley has posted a cloud castle, claiming "evidence" that Sullivan is in fact not a father of a child with autism, but Paul Offit's wife Bonnie.
The chain of evidence is pathetic in its delusions. But it's standard operating procedure for those enmeshed in pseudoscience: begin with a misinterpretation, and go hunting frantically (if not hysterically) for confirmation.
Update: Here's Handley's two promises
If you can produce a dad with a child with autism with a remarkable grasp of the medical and scientific literature who blogs under the name Sullivan, a man who has an inordinate grasp of the details of your husband’s patents, lawsuits, published studies, and web habits, I will make sure that the pauloffit.com website is given to you and your husband for good.
In fact, if you can produce this father, I promise to never, ever publicly write about or utter the name “Paul Offit” again.
- Liz Ditz at I Speak of Dreams So Wrong It Is Funny:
- Orac at Respectful Insolence I am Bonnie Offit
- Kev at LeftBrain/RightBrain I am Bonnie Offit
- Kim Wombles at Countering No No No I am Bonnie Offit
- Kim Wombles at Countering It Has to Be Asked
- Kim Wombles at Countering Age of Autism Runs Out of Steam: Handley, Bonnie Offit, and Sullivan from LBRB
- Catherina at JusttheVax I am Bonnie Offit
- Science Mom at JusttheVax I'm Really Bonnie Offit
- Todd W at Silenced by Age of Autism I am Bonnie Offit!
- Laura at Life at The House That Asperger's built I am Bonnie Offit
- Emily Willingham at A Life Less Ordinary Age of Autism, Meet Shark
- Rene F. Najera at Epi Times Ich bin Bonnie Offit / Yo soy Bonnie Offit / I am Bonnie Offit / 我邦尼Offit
- Travis at the Pretend Biologist I am Bonnie Offit
- Sheldon at Vaccines Work He Who Pays the Piper--I am Bonnie Offit
- Todd W at Silenced by Age of Autism I am Bonnie Offit -- Followup
- Michael Rosch at New York Atheism & Skepticism JB Handley is a deranged psycho (I have proof)
- Kim Wombles at Countering The Fallout of Handley's Sullivangate: Looking to Tomorrow and Hope
- Kev Leitch at LeftBrain RightBrain Society vs. Individuals
- Craig Willoughby at My Socrates Note It Is Time to Step Away from the Accusations, AoA
- MJ at Autism Jabberwocky When Age of Autism Attacks
- David M. Brown at Evil Possum: If Sullivan's Offit, then JB is Bigfoot![pdf file]
- Meg Evans at ASAN Southwest Ohio True Confessions