Tuesday February 8: New from JREF:
If you prefer here's a direct link to the petition:
I will keep updating this silently as I find new resources
Videos, blog posts & etc.
Evergreen: How does homeopathy work?
Note: Andreas Kyriacou, who appears to read more languages than I do, is compiling an awesome gallery of photographs and links to videos:
Europe (including UK)
- UK Manchester, England http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4ies9j5dRE and Skeptical Science
- Ireland Dublin http://youtu.be/XunQtTNMO4s
- Norway Trondheim
- Norway Oslo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z9Z8vSlulI and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwOXhBIwM_c and http://leishacamden.blogspot.com/2011/02/1023-campaign.html and http://skepsis.no/blog/?p=5307
- Sweden Gotenburg
- Sweden Stockholm
- Finland Helsinki
- Germany Berlin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-IPshcA1EI
- Germany Hamburg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG_Tw1Nc6iI
- Germany Frankfurt
- Germany Munich http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg2i0bfwguM
- Germany Essen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSOy8sGDhd0 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFAAa88Cvd8
- Germany Cologne http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zazSqE_hrS8
- Belgium Brussels http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k79CBVlAwxM and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1cDQafmilY
- The Netherlands Amsterdam http://yfrog.com/gzg8wmj and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuUG5Vvz1Pc
- Austria Vienna http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DlaDINIjgo
- Czech Republic Prague
- Poland Wroclaw
- Poland Warsaw
- Hungary Budapest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alFwjWet1G8
and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iax65w5bpq0 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rChvY6QNRuE Link to 1023 Hungary http://1023.hu/
- Hungary Székesfehérvár http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1cDQafmilY
- Hungary Szeged http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRUYVSep0C0
- Switzerland Zurich http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KGg8xXjqS4
- Romania Bucharest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M6Fa-j4nC4 and http://www.primatv.ro/stiri-focus/impotriva-homeopatiei.html
- Romania Timosara http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLwkG-PRcw4 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GxNnM3eQGc and http://www.1023.ro/
- France Paris http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WlBiDVAmDM and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrnCzwQDttc and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcqqJYhUEo8
- Portugal Lisbon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYl2Pnm4S4 and http://youtu.be/ivF1HT5m6FU and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vefSeq43mzk
- Spain Gijon
- Spain León
- Spain Bilbao http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYhS7YV3r2c and http://tenacioso.wordpress.com/2011/02/06/ten23-mi-suicidio-homeopatico/
- Spain Zaragosa
- Spain Barcelona http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2CsfZjo0C0
- Spain Madrid http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/12475134 thanks to http://twitter.com/#!/FerFrias/
Middle East and Africa
- Israel Tel Aviv http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhZ0bXTUptc
- Capetown, South Africa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbyDJDymcBo and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlxCUFsBFUU and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS22F9q5w-s and http://kelltrill.wordpress.com/2011/02/07/my-homeopathy-overdose/
Puerto Galera, Philippines http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6VsXcZgOQ0
Australia and New Zealand
- Australia WA Perth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW3oVa5kWJ8
- Australia VIC Bells Beach http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKqshXfN_MA and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhDA07jYncU
- Australia VIC Melbourne http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvgRMcfo0Yk
Australia VIC Geelong
- Australia NSW Canberra
- Australia NSW Sydney http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY5SP5aO8JU
- Australia QL Brisbane Chrys Stephenson at On Line http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=11601
- New Zealand Christchurch
- New Zealand Wellington
- New Zealand Auckland
- Antarctica http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQzOidQKafA
- Argentina Buenos Aires http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIzrKRUjYmc
- Argentina Rosario
- Brazil Sao Paulo http://www.demotiximages.com/news/580623/1023-challenge-2011-homeopathy-protest
- Brazil Porto Allegre http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkdPh5zL4H0
- Brazil Natal (I think -- I don't read Portuguese) http://scienceblogs.com.br/uoleo/2011/02/desafio_ten23_-_overdose_homeo_1.php
- Brazil Rio de Janeiro http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGC0fVxts5E
- Brazil Piracicaba
- Chile Santiago
- Mexico Morelia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekdPQKlghwo and http://papaesceptico.com/2011/02/06/mi-primer-suicidio-homeopatico-y-no-paso-nada-campana-1023/
- Mexico Mexico City http://www.espejoesceptico.com/2011/02/sobredosis-masiva-homeopatica-los.html and (I think)
- US Hawaii Honolulu
- US Arizona Phoenix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL9no59Yec4
- US Arizona Tucson
- US California Hollywood
- US California Monterey County http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVy79Izu05U
- US California San Francisco Liz Ditz, I Speak of Dreams I Survived a Massive Homeopathic Overdose of Coffea Cruda 30C (Ten:23 in San Francisco, 2/5/2011)
- US Washington Poulsboro Tara A.R. Cason Granite NW 10:23 Homeopathy Overdose 2011
- US Georgia Atlanta
- US WV Morgantown http://www.thedaonline.com/news/homeopathic-meds-protested-during-mass-overdose-1.1964776
- US MA Boston
- Canada Quebec Montreal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICLVGGe8iZM
- Canada Ontario Ottowa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_H-y7q025A and Martyn Norris, It's not that important but....An Ineffective Overdose and http://blog.cfiottawa.com/2011/02/05/skeptics-court-death-by-massive-drug-overdose/ and
- Canada Ontario Kitchener, Waterloo http://www.somecanadianskeptic.com/2011/02/overdose-on-sleeping-pills-or-as-i-call.html
- Canada Ontario Toronto http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpIQq8Nhoz4
- Canada Manitoba Winnipeg http://1023canada.scienceontheweb.net/blog.php?bid=109
- Canada Alberta Edmonton http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5883046913&v=wall
- Canada British Columbia Vancouver http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGODo-XzjlM and http://www.flickr.com/photos/fred_bremmer/sets/72157625861297567/
- Canada, undisclosed location http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz-mLW_pDeE
General News Coverage
- Thomas H. Maugh II, Los Angeles Times Magician James Randi, skeptics launch attack on makers of homeopathic 'drugs'
- NPR http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/02/08/133569580/homeopathic-medicine-overdosers-survive-unscathed
- Change.org Snake Oil On the Shelves Homeopathy's Misleading Claims Under Fire http://news.change.org/stories/snake-oil-on-the-shelves-homeopathys-misleading-claims-under-fire
General Blog Posts
- Skeptical Science
- Stripped Science
- Skepacabra Homeopathy is a scam: Happy 10:23 Weekend
- 330M 10:23 Campaign Happy Overdose Day/Week
- Further thoughts for the day 10:23 Challenge
- Rebecca Watson, Skepchick, Happy 10:23 Day/Weekend/thing from James Randi
- Depleted Cranium: James Randi Takes On Homeopathy
- Phil Plait, Bad Astronomy: Homeopathy: There's Nothing to It
Joe Chemler, Michegan Skeptics Association: Eleven reasons pharmacists should not sell homeopathy
- After 200 years, no conclusive scientific evidence exists for the effectiveness of homeopathic treatments (reviewed here, here, here, here, and here). A product that has been diluted so much that not a single molecule of the original active ingredient is present would require a highly implausible mechanism and break the laws of physics and chemistry as we know them.
- Homeopathic remedies are legally exempt from providing documentation to the FDA showing their products are safe. It’s solely up to the manufacturer to ensure safety. What could go wrong? Oh, right…You could lose your sense of smell, permanently. Or poison children.
- When pharmacists misuse their professional reputation to recommend products that are not known to be effective, patients may feel that they can forgo legitimate therapy.
- For added confusion, homeopathic ingredients are listed in Latin. For example, a popular product sold as a remedy of flu-like symptoms is Oscillococcinum. The ingredients are lists as Anas Barbariae Hepatis et Cordis Extractum – 200 CK. Think about it. Pharmacists are selling products that they themselves have no clue as to what’s in the box. By the way, the Latin translation is roughly, ‘extract of heart and liver from a duck.’ Yum!
- The American Pharmacists Association (APhA) endorses homeopathic products through several means. Firstly, the APhA accepts money from homeopathic manufacturers for booth rentals at APhA conventions and advertisements in their journals. Secondly, the APhA publish book chapters and articles written by homeopaths, guaranteeing a favorable bias of the material taught. Therefore, the professionalism of the APhA has been compromised. Pharmacists must refuse to sell homeopathic products because doing so legitimizes the non-professional stance taken by the APhA and other organizations, and further degrades the status of the pharmacy.
- Selling homeopathic products dishonors the professional relationship with the patient and yields a dishonest profit. This practice reduces pharmacists to the level of hucksters and predators who prey on their unsuspecting patients.
- Selling homeopathic products is, at best, legally questionable. Any product stocked by a pharmacy is subject to an ‘implied warranty’. This is to ensure that products sold are fit for a particular purpose. Recently, pharmacists in the UK were the subject of four year investigation for selling homeopathic anti-malaria remedies to travelers headed to Africa. The cases were unfortunately dropped but let that be a warning to pharmacists who think that they are doing nothing wrong.
- Selling homeopathic products violates the ‘oath of a pharmacist,’ in which US graduates vow to ‘. . . apply my knowledge, experience, and skills to the best of my ability to assure optimal outcomes for my patients.’ Selling unproved products clearly and unequivocally violates this vow as optimal outcomes cannot be achieved with expensive placebos.
- Pseudo-medical practitioners wish to displace legitimate medicine. By only selling products proved safe and effective, pharmacists hold the line against the encroachment of quackery on conventional medicine. Conversely, selling homeopathic products hastens the erosion of conventional medicine and lowers that pharmacist to quackery. Those pharmacists are essentially no better than some scientifically illiterate health food store clerks. Selling homeopathic products thus lowers esteem for the pharmacist, the pharmacy and the profession at large.
- Homeopathic products appeal to the greed and profit motive. Health food stores are making huge profits off the sale these worthless products and pharmacies want a slice of the pie. “If the guy down the street is making money, why can’t I?” The argument that profit justifies the sale of homeopathic medicines is the identical justification used by illicit drug dealers, pimps, and illegal arms dealers. Profitable quackery is still quackery.
- Selling homeopathic products betrays a lack of intellectual honesty and rigor in thinking. To know the scientific method, but to ignore its power and utility is perhaps even worse than to be scientifically illiterate. Selling quack products lowers respect for the pharmacy in the eyes of physicians and others who adhere to the principles of legitimate medicine.