Updated May 27, 2011 Mark Geier's license to practice medicine in Washington is suspended
Updated May 23, 2011 David Geier was removed from the Maryland Autism Commission.
Update May 19, 2011
I will be updating this silently as I find new posts and news articles.
Mark Geier MD and his son David Geier have been at the very heart of the "autism is vaccine injury" mythology for over a decade, although over and over again the senior Geier has been found to make careless errors and to be "seriously intellectually dishonest". They also developed a "protocol" for "treating autism" using a powerful drug, Lupron, which in men, induces chemical castration. The senior Geier's medical license was suspended effective April 27 2011.
You can download a copy of the complaint here Download D2425004.271 (large PDF file; 1.8 KB) or directly from the following URL https://www.mbp.state.md.us/bpqapp/Orders/D2425004.271.PDF (same size file).
The following lists are of responses that approve of the suspension; responses critical of the suspension; and the backstory (previously published posts)
News Reports on the activities of Mark and David Geier
- May 4 2011 Patricia Callahan and Steve Mills at the Chicago Tribune Trib Update: Maryland Suspends Doctor's License
- May 4 2011 Board: Patricia Callahan and Steve Mills at the Chicago Tribune Drug therapy for children with autism was risky
- May 5 2011 Meredith Cohn at the Baltimore Sun Maryland Looks to Remove Autism Panelist with Links to Suspended Doctor
- May 5 2011 Bob LaMendola at the Florida Sun Sentinel Autism doctor operating in Florida has Maryland license suspended
- May 6 2011 Julie Bykowicz at the Baltimore Sun State Seeks to Rescind Controversial Autism Appointment
- May 6 2011 Jean Marbella at the Baltimore Sun The Blogger and the Doctor (on Kathleen Seidell's patient, thorough research on the Geiers and their protocol)
- May 10 2011 Brandon K. Thorpe at the Broward Palm Beach New Times Governors in the Castration Business
- May 11 2011 Trine Tsuderos and Meredith Cohn at the Chicago Tribune Maryland medical board upholds autism doctor's suspension
- May 11 2011 Frank D. Roylance and Meredith Cohn at the Baltimore Sun Alternative autism treatments can be appealing to desperate parents
- May 19 2011 Meredith Cohn at the Washington Post Doctor's Son Charged with Illicit Practice
- May 19 2011 Sean Patrick Norris at Maryland Gazette.net: State Medical Board: North Bethesda Doctor Remains a Threat
- May 20 Frank D. Roylance at the Baltimore Sun [Maryland] Governor O'Malley Ousts David Geier from Maryland Autism Commission
- May 23 2011 Brandon K. Thorpe at the Broward Palm Beach New Times: Practitioners of Quack Autism Treatment in Trouble with [Maryland] Governor
- May 26 2011 Vannessa Ho at the Seattle Post Intelligencer Controversial Autism Doctor's Licence Suspended
Responses approving of the suspension order and subsequent developments, to date:
- May 3 2011 Kathleen Seidel at Neurodiversity Maryland Medical Board Suspends Mark Geier's License (includes full text of suspension order key points from the suspension order)
- May 3 2011 Prometheus at Photon in the Darkness Yet More "Callous Disregard" Mark Geier's Medical License Suspended
- May 3 2011 Orac at Respectful Insolence Why Not Just Castrate Them Part Six The State of Maryland finally takes "emergency action" against Mark Geier and his Lupron protocol for autism
- May 3 2011 Todd W at Harpocrates Speaks Mark "Castrate 'em" Geier License Suspended (excellent summary of the backstory and issues).
- May 4 2011 Sullivan at LeftBrain/RightBrain Maryland Board of Physicians "Mark Geier Endangers Autistic Children And Exploits Their Parents"
- May 4 2011 Steven Novella MD at Neurologica Mark Geier's License Suspended
- May 4 2011 Seth Mnookin at The Panic Virus Blog Lessons from the shaming of chemically castrating doc who “endangers autistic children and exploits their parents”
- May 4 2011 Barbara Martin MD at Pathophilia Geier's Medical License Suspended
- May 4 2011 Mama Mara at Mama Mara Quackery Right Here in River City
- May 5 2011 Sullivan at LeftBrain/RightBrain Do We Have to Wait for Someone To Be Injured to Call A Practice Unsafe?
- May 5 2011 Emily Willingham at the Biology Files Autism, Lupron, the Geiers, and what can science do about emotions?
- May 5 2011 Phil Plait at Bad Astronomy Antivaxxer Mark Geier has License revoked in Maryland
- May 5 2011 Bastion of Sass at Bastion of Sass Maryland State Board of Physicians Finally Acts Against Autism Non-Expert Geier
- May 5 2011 Kristina Chew at Care2.com Maryland Suspends Autism Doctor's License
- May 5 2011 ToddW at Harpocrates Speaks A Close Look At David Geier (on details from the suspension order: David Geier appears to have on at least one occasion provided medical care while not licensed to practice medicine; also covers David Geier's position on the Maryland state Autism Commission)
- May 6 2011 Orac at Respectful Insolence The Fallout from the Suspension of Mark Geier's Medical License (why should the entirely unqualified David Geier sit on a state autism commission?, and reflections on Mark Geier's licensure in states other than Maryland)
- May 6 2011 Vincent Ianelli MD at About.com.Pediatrics Autism Researcher has License Suspended
- May 6 2011 Pete Trzeciak at Pete's Wicked Blog The Power of Good Science Reporting
- May 6 2011 Robert Goldberg PhD at How Did Autism Quack Get on the Maryland Autism (Questions about David Geier's Appointment, and connections to John L. Young, MD)
- May 6 2011 Mama Mara at MamaMara Hoping to Hear About an Arrest
- May 6 2011 ToddW at Harpocrates Speaks Urgent Please Call the Maryland State Board of Physicians about David Geier (Investigators wish to speak to patients or parents of patients who may have witnessed David Geier providing medical care.)
- May 7 2011 The only Living Thing at The Only Living Thing Medical Quackery
- May 8 2011 Mike Stanton at Blog-Thing Geier! Geir! Pants on Fire!
- May 12 2011 Club 166 at Club 166 The Pigeons Have Come Home to Roost (Club 166 is a physician; reflecting on the suspension order)
- May 19 2011 Kathleen Seidel at Neurodiversity Blog Maryland Authorities Charge Lupron Promoters with unprofessional conduct, practicing Medicine without a licence
- May 19 2011 ToddW at Harpocrates Speaks Charges Leveled Against David and Mark Geier
- May 20 2011 Seth Mnookin at the Panic Virus Roundup and Reactions to the Latest Charges Against Mark and David Geier
- May 20 2011 Seth Mnookin at the Panic Virus Maryland charges David Geier with practicing medicine without a license
- May 20 2011 Sullivan at Leftbrain/RightBrain Maryland Authorities Charge Lupron Promoters with Unprofessional Conduct, Practicing Medicine Without a License
- May 20 2011 Orac at Respectful Insolence Why Not Just Castrate Them? (part 8) State Moves Against the Geiers
- May 23 2011 at Club 166 Missing Important Social Clues (on David Geier's suspension from the Maryland Autism Commission)
- May 24 2011 Sullivan at LeftBrain/RightBrain David Geier Ousted from Autism Commission
- May 27 2011 ToddW at Harpocrates Speaks Mark "Castrate 'Em" Geier's License Suspended in Washington (dominos about to fall)
- May 27 2011 Seth Mnookin at PLOS Panic Virus Washington State joins Maryland in Suspending License of doc who chemically castrates children
Responses critical of the suspension order, to date:
- May 20, 2011 at 4:30 pm PDT: no responses to date
- May 21, 2011 Patrick "Tim" Bolen at the Bolen Report Attack on the Geiers (note this "report" contains ad hominem attacks on several people)
Backstory on Mark Geier MD and his research "associate", his son David Geier Specifically on Their Lupron "Protocol"
- August 25, 2006: Kathleen Seidell at Neurodiversity Blog Significant Misrepresentations: Mark Geier, David Geier & the Evolution of the Lupron Protocol (Annotated lists of posts covering the Geiers' Lupron Protocol)
- February 23 2006 Orac at Respectful Insolence Why Not Just Castrate Them?
- November 5 2008 Barbara Martin MD at Pathophilia Op-Ed Plus Further Commentary on the Work of Mark and David Geier
- May 21 2009 Trine Tsuoderos at the Chicago Tribune 'Miracle drug' called junk science
- May 21 2009 Steve Mills and Tim Jones at the Chicago Tribune at the Chicago Tribune Physician team's crusade shows cracks
- May 21 209 Kristina Chew at Change.org Misrepresenting Autism: The Geiers, Lupron, and Vaccine Litigation
- May 25 2009 David Gorski MD at Science-Based Medicine Chemical Castration for Autism: After Three Years, the Mainstream Media Finally Notices
- August 24 2009 David N. Brown Download Even Worse: The Geiers' Lupron Protocol downloaded from http://evilpossum.weebly.com/cures.html on May 5 2011