Update 5/16/2011: The domain name PaulOffit.com has been transferred to Dr. Paul Offit and his wife, Dr. Bonnie Offit. See J.B. Handley Makes Good on His Promise, Finally, Sort Of.
Mr Handley also published his version of the whole issue, including the phrase,
looking for some reason to sully my reputation,
No, Mr. Handley, your actions sullied your reputation -- you didn't need outside help.
see blog post http://www.ageofautism.com/2011/05/pauloffitcom-the-website-no-one-wants.html
Update 5/14/2011: Mr. Handley claims to have fulfilled his end of the deal. He didn't. He is still forsworn. See below.
The best short response to J.B. Handley's claim to have fulfilled the deal? Andrew at Respectful Insolence
I didn't break my promise to return your car - I left it unlocked on the street, so it's your own fault that someone took it.
Remember, the deal was:
I will make sure that the pauloffit.com website is given to you [Bonnie Offit] and your husband [Paul Offit MD] for good.
A person of honor and integrity would have:
- Determined the steps for domain transfer
- Communicated the steps necessary for domain transfer to Dr. Bonnie Offit and Dr. Paul Offit, with sufficient back-and-forth communication to ensure all three parties (Handley and the Drs. Offit) were aware of the steps including any time limitations, and that the Drs. Offit were prepared to act on the transfer when it became actionable.
- Initiated the transfer at a time and in such a way that the Drs. Offit were ready and able to take possession of the domain name.
- Safeguarded the transaction in such a way that only the three parties to the deal were aware of the transfer.
- Safeguarded the transaction in such a way that the property (the domain name) could only come into the possession of the Drs. Offit.
It is clear from Mr. Handley's communication (screenshot above of comment below) took only the first of those five steps.
J. B. Handley is still forsworn. He did not keep his promise.
Update #1 One of my readers reminded me privately that I had not explained that J.B. Handley had purchased the domain name PaulOffit.com in order to revile Paul Offit MD. This is commonly called "cybersquatting," or purchasing a domain name in bad faith. This purchase is not Mr. Handley's first or only act of cybersquatting. It is a further indication of Mr. Handley's character.
Update #2 A list of blog posts on the topic of the current ownership and content of PaulOffit.com is at the bottom of the post.
Update #3 Screencaptures of the current contents of PaulOffit.com is at the bottom of the post
Update #4: What Handley's supporters thought about his agreement to honor his word and transfer the PaulOffit.com domain name to Paul Offit
Last month there was the big reveal of Sullivan's real identity, as I discussed in Now it Can Be Revealed: the Blogger Sullivan's True Identity -- Time for JB Handley to Make Good on His Promise.
edited 5/14/2011 to add:
Here is the promise J. B. Handley made, on November 16, 2010, in the blog post http://www.ageofautism.com/2011/04/matt-carey-phd-says-hes-bonnie-offit-just-kidding.html:
(click image to see full size)
In response to Sullivan revealing that he was indeed Matthew J. Carey, Mr. Handley wrote, on April 29, 2011
... I also made a simple promise that if Sullivan was NOT Bonnie Offit, I would not utter said name of said leader of the Dark Side.
I also offered to give up the website www.pauloffit.com
....‘Nuff said, in the world I live in, a deal’s a deal...
Which wasn't exactly keeping his promise, but was close enough (and humor counts).
Now, the forsworn J.B. Handley (who still controls the website, apparently) has posted this:
(click to embiggen)
Forget that "voted himself rich" is the endless lie.
J. B. has reneged on his deal. He is forsworn; he has demonstrated what his word is worth.
Update: evidently the PaulOffit.com website has not been transferred to Paul Offit, as Mr. Handley promised to do. However, Handley, who used to control the website, has granted someone named M. Wazowski editing privileges Evidently I am clueless when it comes to Monsters Inc. M. Wazowski is also a Monsters Inc. character. And Mr. Handley has previously sneered at those who use pseudonyms for blogging. Handley has still gone back on his word.
Other blog posts about Handley's integrity and honor:
- May 12, 2011, ToddW at Harpocrates Speaks Integrity and Honesty, which includes a comment from Paul Offit MD confirming that Mr. Handley made no attempt to contact Dr. Offit for ownership transfer of PaulOffit.com
- May 12, 2011 Kim Wombles at Countering J.B. Handley Backs Out of Agreement Regarding Offit Website
- May 12, 2011 René Najera at The Epi Times: Quick Note: I Guess Honor Doesn't Stand for Much Anymore
- May 12, 2011 Leart Shaka at The Vaccine Times: J.B. Handley and the Unkept Promise
Responses from Age of Autism readers to Mr. Handley's post http://www.ageofautism.com/2011/04/matt-carey-phd-says-hes-bonnie-offit-just-kidding.html, posted at 5:44 am on April 29, 2011
Mr Handley wrote at the link above:
I’m also pleased to see you now blogging in your own name, as all AoA writers and parents do. I think it’s a simple way to demonstrate courage, conviction, and integrity in the things you write.
I urge readers to examine each of the signatures to the comments below, and evaluate for themselves how many of the comments are signed with the commenter's real name.
(Images represent all comments in order of posting, to the best of my ability. I may have missed some comments. Images shown reduced size. Click to open full-size images full size)
Current Contents of PaulOffit.com
Images shown reduced size. Click to open full-size images full size