See update. The problem is with Google+ and there are more examples.
Update #2: you may wish to sign this petition
Update #3 As I often do, I am continuing to add links to the lists below, updating silently.
Here's the backstory. In order to sign up for Google+, you must use a "real name".
There's a hitch in the get-along, as Skud as been documenting. Many people are better known on the internet (and even in real life) by their handle or pseudonym, rather than their "real name" (and here is Google+ name policy, as curated by Skud). Update: many women, transpeople, and others have profound reasons for using pseudonyms.
The conflict can be followed on Twitter as #nymwars.
Skud's "real name" is Kirrily Robert, but she is better known (on Twitter and elsewhere) as Skud. When she tried to use Skud as her "real name" at Google+, her account was suspended.
There's a whole movement: My Name is Me (http://my.nameis.me/), at twitter as
Supporting your freedom to choose the name you use on social networks and other online services.
- June 10 2010 Skud at GeekFeminism: Hacker News and Pseudonymity
- July 22 2011 Skud at InfoTropism I've Been Suspended from Google+
- July 31 2011 Skud at InfoTropism An Update on my Google+ Suspension
- August 4 2011 Skud at InfoTropism Google+ Name Policy
- August 5 2011 Skud at InfoTropism Skud vs. Google+ Round 2
Reports from others rejected by Google+:
- July 15 2011 CZ Unit at Live Journal Pull The Switch Igor What Is a Person...
- July 19 2011 CZ Unit at Live Journal Pull The Switch Igor! Rejected by Google+ I Rule!
- July 19 2011 CZ Unit at Live Journal Pull the Switch Igor! My Thoughts on the Google+ Thing
- July 19 2011 CZ Unit at Live Journal Pull the Switch Igor! Need People to Vouch for Me
- July 19 2011 CZ Unit at Live Journal Pull the Switch Igor! Reply Back from Google+
- July 20 2011 CZ Unit at Live Journal Pull the Switch Igor! Google Wants to See My ID
- July 20 2011 CZ Unit at Live Journal Pull the Switch Igor! No Word Back from Google
- July 20 2011 CZ Unit at Live Journal Pull the Switch Igor! Uncommon Names Seems to be the Key
- July 24 2011 BugGirl at BugGirl's Blog: Does Google+ Hate Women?
- July 28 2011 GrrlScientist at The Guardian An Open Letter to Google+
- July 29 2011 CZ Unit at Live Journal Pull the Switch Igor! Suspended Again!
- August 1 2011 Caliya Identity Woman at Identity Woman Google+ and My "Real" Name -- Yes I Am Identity Woman
- August 4 2011 CZ Unit at Live Journal Pull the Switch Igor! That Makes 3 Suspensions from Google+. Is My Fourth Free?
- August 8 2011 Kaliya Identity Woman at Identity Woman Up Google+ Suspension Update
- August 9 2011 at Gary Walker Cheaper than Paper A Firsthand Look at the Google+ Profile Reporting Process
Other thoughts on Pseudonyms online and the problems with Google+'s prohibition
- June 16 2009 Bug Girl at Bug Girl's Blog Pseudonyms and Anonymity
- June 21 2009 Bug Girl at Bug Girl's Blog Anonymity Revisted
- July 12 2011 Audrey Watters at Read Write Web No Pseudonyms Allowed
- July 23 2011 En Tequila Es Verdad A 'Nym is Not Unknown
- July 23 2011 Violet Blue at ZDNet Google+ Deleting Accounts En Masse: No Clear Answers
- July 24 2011 SciCurious at Neurotic Physiology On the Issue of Pseudonymity
- July 26 2011 Sai at Google+ How Google Could Fix this Issue
- August 1 2011 Greg Laden at Greg Laden's Blog Google Needs to Allow Pseudonyms
- August 4 2011 Jemima Kiss at the Guardian Google+ Pseudonym Wars
- August 4 2011 danah boyd at Apophenia "Real Names" Policies are an Abuse of Power
- August 8 2011 Neal Ungerlieder at Fast Company Google+, Pseudonyms, and Activists
- August 9 2011 BotGirl Questi at Botgirl's Second Life Diary Why It Is Important to Turn the Tide on Google's Real Name Policy
- August 9 2011 BotGirl Questi Flickr set of Faux Propaganda Posters for Inner Circle Google+
- August 2011 Geek Feminism Wiki Who Is Harmed by a "Real Names" Policy
- August 12, 2011 Tim Carmody at Wired Google+ Punts on Kafkaesque Name Policy