Andy Wakefield, the infamous UK physician struck off for the "callous disregard" with which he treated his child patients, has filed a defamation suit against The British Medical Journal, UK journalist Brian Deer, and the BMJ's editor, Fiona Godlee. A copy of the complaint can be read here: https://www.courthousenews.com/2012/01/04/BritMedJ.pdf. The litigation was filed January 3, 2012.
As I often do, I'm keeping a running list of posts discussing the litigation. I will be updating it silently as time passes.
Discussions of the litigation from folk who regard Wakefield as a discredited former physician:
- 1/4/12: SkepticalLawyer at Skeptical Lawyer: Wakefield Sues British Authors and Publishers for Libel--In Texas
- 1/4/12: Ken at Popehat: Andrew Wakefield Sues BMJ and Brian Deer Time to Test Texas's New Anti-SLAPP Statute
- 1/4/12: Seth Mnookin at The Panic Virus: It Really Is Bizarro Day: Andrew Wakefield Sues Brian Deer, BMJ
- 1/4/12: JABS Loonies Andrew Wakefield to Make an Arse of Himself by Trying to Sue Brian Deer, BMJ, Fiona Godlee
- 1/5/12: Sullivan at LeftBrain/RightBrain: Andrew Wakefield Takes to the Courts Again
- 1/5/12: Orac at Respectful Insolence: Legal Thuggery, Anti-Vaccine Edition
- 1/5/12: Orac at Respectful Insolence: Legal Thuggery Pt. 2: An Interesting Connection
- 1/5/12: Idoubtit at Doubtful News Wakefield Sues Deer et al. for libel in the US.
- 1/5/12: Stephen R. Latham at A Blog on Bioethics Wakefield Sues BMJ for Defamation
- 1/5/12 Phillip at Dub i nGal Streisand Effect Again
- 1/5/12 Evan Mascagni at the Public Participation Project Andrew Wakefield Sues BMJ for Claiming MMR Study was Fraudulent
- 1/5/12 Autism Mum at Autism Mum Wakefield's Back
- 1/5/12 OneClick Group Andrew Wakefield Is This A Rich Texan Publicity Stunt?
- Ophelia Benson at Butterflies and Wheels Reputation, Iago
- 1/6/12 Orac at Respectful Insolence Legal Thuggery Pt. 3
- 1/6/12 PZ Myers at Pharyngula Andrew Wakefield Lashes Out
- 1/6/12 Eric Berger at The SciGuy (Houston Chronicle Blogs) Andrew Wakefield, the autism and vaccines guy, files suit in Travis County
- 1/6/12 Sullivan at LeftBrainRightBrain British Medical Journal Instructs Lawyers to "Defend the Claim Vigorously" against Andrew Wakefield's lawsuit
- 1/6/12 Forum at ASD Friendly Wakefield Rises from the Dead
- 1/7/12 Kristina Chew at Care2 Causes Wakefield Sues British Journal for Defamation in Texas
- 1/7/12 SkepticHampster at SkepticHampster The Reputation of Fakefield
- 1/9/12 Lisa Falkenberg at the Houston Chronicle: Feelings aren't the only thing hurt by research
- 1/10/12 Rachel Rivest Dunbar at Somewhat Reasonable (Heartland Institute) If the facts don't fit, you must acquit
- 1/11/12 Orac at Respectful Insolence The anti-vaccine crankosphere rallies round its hero, and Brian Deer strikes back
Discussions of the litigation from folk who regard Wakefield as a maligned hero:
- 1/5/12 Autism Action Network: Andrew Wakefield files defamation suit against British Medical Journal, Brian Deer and Fiona Godley (sic)
- 1/5/12 AEFountain at A Mother and Son's Journey What I Know for Sure
- 1/5/12 Louise Kuo Habakus at Facebook Andrew Wakefield Files Suit
- 1/6/12 Age of Autism posted the first six paragraphs of Ian Sample's Guardian article; the comments are expression of support. (Note: comments at Age of Autism are heavily moderated).
- 1/7/12 Gaia Health BMJ Focuses on Science Fraud, but Is Their Own Exposed By Wakefield Suit?
- 1/8/12 Aware and Prepare Andrew Wakefield Sues British Medical Journal and British Journals Over Defamation
- 1/10/12 Editors at Age of Autism: It's a New Year and Andrew Wakefield is Fighting Back
- 1/10/12 Editors at Age of Autism Autism Parents Respond to Dr. Andrew Wakefield's Libel Writ Against the British Medical Journal
- 1/10/12 The Andrew Wakefield Justice Fund
- 1/12/12 Ethan A. Huff at The Natural News: Dr. Andrew Wakefield Sues BMJ, journalist Brian Deer, for Defamation
- 1/12/12 NWQFK at From Hell To Veins Dr. Wakefield Files Defamation Suit
- 1/5/12: Ian Sample at The Guardian (UK) Andrew Wakefield sues BMJ for claiming MMR study was fraudulent
- 1/5/12 Sara Reardon at ScienceInsider Author of Discredited Vaccine-Autism Report Sues for Libel
- 1/6/12 John Gever at MedPage Today Doctor Who Claimed Vaccine-Autism Link Sues Critics
- 1/6/12 Andy Coughlan at Short Sharp Science (New Science blog) Doctor linking MMR and autism sues critics
- 1/6/12 Kim LaCapria at the Inquisitr Andrew Wakefield Sues BMJ for Discrediting MMR Autism Study
- 1/6/12 Jennifer Chait at Inhabitots Wakefield who Claimed the Vaccine-Autism Connection Sues His Critics
- 1/6/12 Elizabeth Landau at The Chart (CNN Health) Embattled Autism Study Author sues medical journal for defamation
- 1/6/12 Mary Anne Roser at the Austin Statesman Doctor who did autism research in Austin sues British medical journal, writers
- Alison Frankel at On the Case (Thomson Reuters) Libel suit over autism-vaccine link lands in Texas