This list will be updated silently
Currently in California, it is cheaper and easier to get an exemption from vaccine requirements for school entry than it is to actually comply with the immunization requirements.
Now Assemblymember Richard Pan (D 5th District), also a physician, is planning to change that. He has introduced AB 2109, which adds the requirement that parents speak with a licensed health professional. The bill is in the Assembly Health Committee and will be heard April 17, 2012.
Blog posts and newspaper reports on AB 2109--In favor
- February 29, 2012: Press release from Richard Pan Dr. Pan Introduces Bill to Provide Parents Immunization Information to Prevent Outbreaks
- March 20, 2012 Kenny Goldberg, KPBS Bill Attempts To Reduce Number Of Unimmunized Children In California
- March 20, 2012 ToddW at Harpocrates Speaks California Assembly Working to Protect Public Health
- March 20, 2012 Liz Ditz at I Speak Of Dreams Californians, Protect The Health of All Children: Support AB 2109 (with links to the Assembly Health Committee)
- March 21, 2012 Vincent Iannelli at About Pediatrics Pass the New California Vaccine Bill
- March 22, 2012 Erin Digitale at Scope Stanford School of Medicine Blog Pending vaccine bill would protect vulnerable Californians
- March 22, 2012 Modesto and Sacramento Bee Editorial We all have stake in vaccination rate
- March 22, 2012 ToddW at Harpocrates Speaks The Anti-Vaccine Crowd Shows They Are Anti-Informed Consent
- March 22, 2012 Nurses Who Vaccinate at Nurses Who Vaccinate California's AB 2109
- March 23, 2012 Orac at Respectful Insolence California Bill AB 2109 Real Informed Consent vs. Anti-Vaccine Misinformed Consent
- March 24, 2012 Liz Ditz at I Speak of Dreams California's AB 2109, Strengthening School-Entry Vaccination Requirements, A Mild Change
- March 25, 2012 Liz Ditz at I Speak of Dreams Vaccine Exemptions in California: How Many Exemptions and How Much Will They Cost (re AB 2109)
- March 26, 2012 David Gorski MD at Science-Based Medicine California Bill AB 2109 The Anti-Vaccine Movement Attacks School Vaccine Mandates Again
- March 29, 2012 Hannah Guzik, California Health Report Number of vaccinated kids drops steadily in California
Blog posts and newspaper reports on AB 2109--Oppposed
- March 2, 2012 Tim O'Shea DC End of Vaccine Exemptions in California?
- March 5, 2012 Sayer Ji various sources Corporate Media Blackout On AB 2109 Threatening Vaccine Rights
- March 11, 2012 Alan Phillips JD at Natural News ALERT: California's AB 2109 Would Make Doctors Gatekeepers for Non-Medical Vaccine Exemptions!
- March 11, 2012 at Susanne Posel at Occupy Corporatism AB 2109 Legislation To Take Away Our Right Not To Vaccinate
- March 14, 2012 Action Alert, Autism Action Coalition Senator Wolk Receives $58K from Vaccine Manufacturers and Sponsors Restrictive Exemption Bill
- March 15, 2012 Sylvia Pimental of the Canary Party Request Assemblyman Pan Withdraw AB 2109
- March 22, 2012 Bob Sears ("Dr. Bob") at Huffington Post California Bill AB2109 Threatens Vaccine Freedom of Choice
- March 23, 2012 Dawn Richardson of NVIC, e-mail posted at another blog Let's Stop AB2109
- March 25 Emily at Laundry and Lullabies AB 2109 - no "personal belief" vaccine exemptions
- No date: Dawn Richardson at the National Vaccine (mis)Information CenterCalifornia: Oppose AB 2109 Restricting Vaccine Exemptions
- Shots for School (California Department of Health Website)
- Informed Consent for Vaccination from VaccineEthics.org
- Vaccination Requirements and Exemptions from VaccineEthics.org
- Vaccination Refusal: Ethics, Individual Rights, and the Common Good by Jason L. Schwartz, MBE, AM and Arthur L. Caplan, PhD