I first heard about Jim Humble's MMS in 2010, through Rhys Morgan's Bleachgate and Noodlemaz's excellent follow-up. Also see this post, and the very thorough MMS Debunked, Jim Humble Exposed site that went up in 2010.
On July 30, 2010, the FDA issued this warning:
FDA Warns Consumers of Serious Harm from Drinking Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS)
Product contains industrial strength bleach
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is warning consumers not to take Miracle Mineral Solution, an oral liquid also known as “Miracle Mineral Supplement” or “MMS.” The product, when used as directed, produces an industrial bleach that can cause serious harm to health.
The FDA has received several reports of health injuries from consumers using this product, including severe nausea, vomiting, and life-threatening low blood pressure from dehydration.
Consumers who have MMS should stop using it immediately and throw it away.
In August 2011 I heard from a friend that MMS was being marketed to autism parents as a "cure", by an associate of Jim Humble's named Kerri, who was working in Latin America. Kerri's ideas about autism are not based in evidence, as the following quote shows:
Autism means that your child has virus, bacteria, Candida, inflammation, heavy metals and food allergies. ...
In April 2012, I heard that Kerri (Kerri Rivera) would be presenting a seminar on this dangerous product at AutismOne. I was appalled, but not surprised. What I didn't realize until I read the presentation slides was that Rivera advocates not only oral administration, but enemas.
Posts about AutismOne, Kerri Rivera, and Treating Autism with Bleach
- May 15 2012 Seth Mnookin at The Panic Virus More Media Stupidity: Chicago Sun Times Runs Propaganda Piece for Jenny McCarthy's Anti-vaccine Conference
- May 17 2012 Seth Mnookin at The Panic Virus UPDATE: Sun-Times Endorsement of Autism Quackfest Remains Online Even After Editor Claims It Was "Incorrect"
- May 18 2012 Seth Mnookin at Panic Virus
- Friday May 25: Orac at Respectful Insolence The Lowest of the Low: Trying to Bleach Autism Away
- Saturday May 26 2012: Jenny McCarthy's Keynote Talk at AutismOne
- Saturday May 26 2012: Kristina Chew at Care2.org You Can't Bleach the Autism Out of A Child
- Saturday May 26 2012: Julian Frost at AutismJungle: Sodium Clorite to Treat Autism--WTF?!
- Sunday May 27 2012: Kerri Rivera's MMS and Autism Presentation at AutismOne
- Sunday May 27 2012 Alison Campbell at BioBlog The Worst Use for MMS Yet?
- Monday May 28 2012 David Gorski at Science-Based Medicine Bleaching Away What Ails You
- Monday May 28 2012 Ophelia Benson at Butterflies and Wheels Bleaching Away the Autism
- Wednesday May 30 Sullivan at LeftBrain/RightBrain MMS or How To Cure Autism with Bleach, Brought To You By AutismOne
- Wednesday May 30 Martine O'Callaghan at Autismum Re: UK, 4 Years Old, 46 Pounds (Open Letter to Kerri Rivera)
- Thursday May 31 2012 Science Mom at Just the Vax Ban Miracle Mineral Supplement
- Thursday May 31 2012 Kitty Kay at No Guile: Life and Other Stories with Autism People Have Lost Their Minds
- Thursday May 31 2012 Stuart Duncan at Autism From A Father's Point of View Parents Are Now Force-Feeding Their Children Bleach to "Cure" Their Autism
- Thursday May 31 2012 Tertia003 at Autism and Science From Mining Chemicals to Bleach--"Anything Goes" in Biomed Practice
- Friday June 1 2012 Emily Willingham and Jennifer Byde Myers Petition: No Bleach Enemas to "Cure" Autism in Children
- Friday June 1 2012 Julian Frost at AutismJungle Dear Reader A Request Of You
- Friday June 1 2012 Josh Witten at The Finch and The Pea Please Do Not Put Industrial Strength Bleach In the Butts of Autistic Children
- Friday June 1 2012 Sunday Stillwell at Adventures in Extreme Parenting Ryan Gosling #17
- Friday June 1 2012 Steve at Planet of the Blind Bleaching Kids with Autism?
- Friday June 1 2012 Liz Ditz at I Speak of Dreams Marketing Quackery to Autism Parents: The Bleach Edition: Sign the Petition
- Friday June 1 2012 Ren Thorpe at The Apparent Apanthrope Science Ur Doing It Wrong
- Saturday June 2 2012 Sullivan at LeftBrain/RightBrain Petition at Change.Org No Bleach Enemas to "Cure" Autism in Children
- Saturday June 2 2012 Mommy Psychologist at The Mommy Psychologist Please Stop. Please.
- Monday June 4 2012 JoslynGray at StrollerDerby PSA Please Do Not Try to Bleach the Autism Out of Your Children
- Tuesday June 5 2012 Lisa Quinones-Fontanez at Autism Wonderland Bleach is For Cleaning, Not For Curing
- Wednesday June 6 2012 Emily Willingham at The Thinking Person's Guide to Autism Dangerous Interventions: MMS and Autism
- Wednesday June 6 2012 Charlie Jane Anders at i09.com The Awful Inhumanity of Using Bleach Enemas to Treat Autistic Children
- Wednesday June 6 2012 Martine O'Callaghan at Autismum: A Reply
- Thursday June 7 2012 JoslynGray at StrollerDerby Autistic Adults Speak Out on Bleach "Treatment"
- Thursday June 7 2012 Stark Raving Mad Mommy News Flash: You Can't Bleach The Autism Out of Your Kid
- Friday June 8 2012 Matthew Miller at Research and Musing: Bleach Enemas to Treat Autism
- Friday June 8 2012 Sullivan at LeftBrain/RightBrain MMS: The Apologists Step In
- Sunday June 10 2012 Guy Chapman at Guy Chapman's Blawg: MMS. It's Bleach. No, Really, It Is
Posts Favorable to AutismOne, Kerri Rivera, and MMS as an autism treatment (post May 2012)
- Friday June 8 2012 Julie Obradovic at Age of Autism Is There A Doctor In the House