My daughter, Jumper Girl, calls this "Christmas Salad". I ate it all before I took a picture.
Ingredients (for one greedy person or four folk as a starter)
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- 1 small avocado
- 4 green onions
- 1/2 to 1 cup canned mandarin oranges
- Your choice of vinaigrette (see suggestion)
- Separate the lettuce into leaves, rinse thoroughly, and dry
- Tear leaves into bite-size pieces; place in serving bowl
- Wash and slice the green onions into rounds as thin as you can manage, up to the point where the white becomes mostly green. Place in serving bowl
- Using a sharp knife, halve the avocado. Use the knife to separate the halves. Whack the knife into the seed and twist free.
- Using a table knife, slice then cross-slice the avocado meat into bite-size dice. Working over the serving bowl, invert the avocado's skin, which will make most of the dice fall into the bowl. Use the table knife to free the clingy bits.
- Drain the canned mandarin oranges, reserving the juice (see suggestion) and add to serving bowl
Suggestion re vinaigrette
I usually put this together in a jar with a lid:
- 1/3 cup (5 tablespoons) liquid (I use about half water and half of the canned mandarin orange syrup
- 1/3 cup (5 tablespoons) vinegar (I use rice wine vinegar)
- 1/3 cup (5 tablespoons) oil (I use 3 tablespoons bland oil, like canola, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons of a nut oil like hazelnut oil, plus a generous splash of sesame oil)
- 2 or 3 grinds of pepper
- 2 or 3 shakes of a salt blend like Lawry's
- about 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
Shake hard, and use to dress the salad just before serving