Update: As of noon PDT, Monday September 22, State Farm has dropped the ad. Go to Rob Schneider and State Farm: Responses for, well, responses.
Phil Supple, State Farm’s director of public affairs, told PRWeek that the company’s advertising is intended to inform and entertain, but Schneider’s ad had the opposite effect.
"[Schneider’s] ad has unintentionally been used as a platform for discussion unrelated to the products and services we provide," he said. "With that, we are working to remove the ad from our rotation at this time."
Click to embiggen. Image source: https://twitter.com/sciencebabe/status/512965458912231425/photo/1
Recently, State Farm® launched a new ad, Steve's Kid, featuring the actor Rob Schneider (in his Saturday Night Live character 'Richard Lamer" or "the #Richmeister"), promoting State Farm's "Discount Doublecheck™ " promotion.
Here is a sampling of Schneider's recent press coverage --other than his acting prowess -- for his vocal support for anti-vaccine, anti-public-health pseudoscience and propaganda.
- The Huffington Post plays up Rob Schneider’s anti-vaccine ravings — and it makes everything else on the site look bad.
- Apparently, Rob Schneider thinks ALL CAPS is a substitute for having a clue: A lower-cased, fact-based rebuttal
- Rob Schneider's Anti-Vax Crusade Now Enters Alex Jones Territory
There's a Facebook page called Chow Babe (created to mock The Food Babe). The moderators created the following ad to counter Schneider's appearance in "Steve's Kid -Richmeister" ad, asking people to "Please join us in stemming the modern anti-technology tide!"
Here's the video:
The video has a call for action
- Send your views on Schneider as State Farm's spokesman using Facebook, here https://www.facebook.com/statefarm
- Send your views on Schneider as State Farm's spokesman via twitter: https://twitter.com/statefarm
- Tweet your opinions using the hashtag #statefarm
I'd add, you can do more:
- You can let the ad agency, DDBChicago know what you think: https://twitter.com/DDBChicago
- You can add your voice to specific State Farm Facebook posts
- #timeto____ re life insurance
- #timeto____ featuring Rob Schneider
- The one about office supplies mentioning the Richmeister
- The one where State Farm makes Schneider the cover picture
- The one promoting the new commercial, using the hashtag #Richmeister
- You can add your voice to specific DDBChicago Facebook posts
- The one promoting the new State Farm ad
Edited to add:
State Farm has local media contacts, listed by state, with email addresses, phone numbers, and fax numbers. You can find the list at https://www.statefarm.com/about-us/newsroom/media-contacts. I'd encourage you to contact your state/regional media contact.
200 East Randolph
Chicago, IL 60601
Press contact: email@example.com
The tagline, "Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there" has been turned into the hashtage #likeabadneighbor
Please let DDBChicago and State Farm know how you feel.
Parkinson's disease experts might want to step up, too, given Schneider's views on medication.
Edited to add:
Click to embiggen. Source: Refutations to Anti-Vaccine Memes, Facebook
Another Facebook page mocking The Food Babe is The Food Hunk. He posted the following image today
Image Source: Food Hunk's Facebook Page
Moving the responses segment to a new post.